St. Paul Street (the main street) evolved from an Iroquois trail and remains one of the only curving main streets in all of North America. The 1st and 2nd Welland Canals were built behind St. Paul Street. The downtown has many heritage sites.
This heritage district features lighthouses and homes from the 1800's, an 1840's jailhouse, Lakeside Park, the Henley Rowing Course (home of the Royal Canadian Henley Regatta since 1903), and a vintage Looff carousel which has hand-carved, hand-painted animals and costs just 5 cents for a ride.
St. Catharines was the final terminus on the Underground Railroad for hundreds of slaves in the 1820's. The Underground Railroad and Niagara's Freedom Trail was a network of people who hid and guided black slaves as they fled the United States and headed north to Canada to seek freedom. You can follow the route which ends at the B.M.E. (British Methodist Episcopal) Church/Salem Chapel, a national historic site associated with the famed "Underground Railroad Conductor", Harriet Tubman, who was called the Black Moses.
A 122 acre wooded area located near the city's downtown core, it includes paved trails, nature trails, sports fields, tennis courts, playground equipment, swimming & wading pools, a pavilion, and lots of picnic areas.
It recognizes 27 Canadians who passed away at the World Trade Centre in 2001, and is located at Happy Rolph’s Bird Sanctuary. The victims are memorialized by 27 varieties of deciduous trees. The handicap-accessible walkway has benches that enable those walking on the trail to enjoy the beautiful vistas on the shores of Lake Ontario.
Since 1903, people from around the world have travelled to St. Catharines for the Royal Canadian Henley Regatta. The adjacent park features gardens, sculptures and monuments that pay tribute to our rowing heritage.