Tour St. Catharines
TSC Quick Facts
Fact #1
Dick's Creek was named for Richard Pierpoint, a member of Butler's Rangers

Fact #2
Twelve Mile Creek was named for its distance from the Niagara River

Fact #3
Formed in 1777 by Colonel John Butler, Butler's Rangers fought in support of Britain during the American Revolution

Fact #4
St. Paul Street was named after the owner of the first inn, Paul Shipman

Fact #5
St. Catharines was named after Robert Hamilton's wife, Catharine Hamilton

Fact #6
John DeCew was a prominent citizen and owner of a successful mill on Twelve Mile Creek. His house was used during war time as a temporary headquarters for Lieutenant James Fitzgibbon

Fact #7
The St. Catharines railway station was inconveniently built on Western Hill on St. Paul Street West -- some distance from the centre of town. This avoided the problem of the tracks having to cross the deep valley of the Welland Canal

Fact #8
The African Methodist Church, located on Geneva Street at North Street, was the centre of support for fugitives from the United States

Fact #9
The St. Catharines Street Railway consisted of streetcars with steel wheels, running on rails over unpaved streets and drawn by two horses. They carried 12 passengers and had hand-operated turntables and the two terminals

Fact #10
The Grand Trunk Railway quoted freight rates 25 to 50% higher than American railroads

Fact #11
Charles E. Stuart was a coal and wood merchant who became the first local manager of Bell Telephone's St. Catharines exchange

Fact #12
Port Weller was named after John L. Weller, the superintending engineer in charge of constructing the fourth Welland Canal

Fact #13
The fourth (and final) Welland Canal originally had a depth of 18 feet, but was quickly increased to 22 feet

Fact #14
The QEW's dedication in 1939 by King George VI and his wife Queen Elizabeth marked the first time a reigning British monarch had visited Canada

Fact #15
Although powered by electricity, horses were still used to help carry the streetcars up the escarpment and for two weeks out of the year when the canal water (from which power was generated) was let out for spring cleaning

Fact #16
The train tunnel under the third Welland Canal, in use from 1881 to the mid-1890's, was 665 feet in length and lined by large blocks of Queenston limestone. The tunnel still exists today

Fact #17
The 1793 act abolishing slavery forbade the further importation of slaves into Upper Canada, and required that children born to a slave mother be set free upon reaching the age of 25

----------------
[ History | Services | Attractions | Photo Gallery ]
[ Tours & Trails | Map Of The City | Upcoming Events | E-Postcards ]
[ Search Our Site | Links to Other Sites | Contact Us | Main Page ]
Tour St. Catharines
© 2002,
History Of The City Services Tourist Attractions Photo Gallery Tours And Trails Map Of The City Events In And Around The City E-Postcards Search Entire Site Links To Other Sites Contact Us Main Page